Entry Requirements

General Entry Requirements & English Language Test Score


Student must:

  • be at least 18 years and above
  • have completed at least the equivalent of Year 12
  • have an IELTS score of 5.5 or equivalent (test results must be no more than 2 Years old).

International Students may not be required to provide evidence of English Language competence where documented evidence can be provided to demonstrate any of the following:

  • the student was educated for 5 years in an English speaking country.
  • the student has completed at least 6 months of a Certificate IV level course in an Australian RTO.
  • the student has successfully completed a foundation course in Australia.
  • the student has successfully completed the College English Placement Test.
  • the student has successfully completed their High School in English Language.

Students must also:

  • Complete an LLN assessment to demonstrate that they have the required level of LLN skills required by the course. Australian College of the Professions will also administer a LLN assessment, as well as conduct an interview with the student over the telephone.
  • Have a suitable level of digital literacy skills as demonstrated through undertaking an online test at http:/ /www.digitalliteracy.eu – a minimum score of 60% is required.


Where evidence of English language is required, the following minimum English language test score from the following providers will be accepted:

English language provider test Minimum score Minimum score where combined with at least 10 weeks ELICOS Minimum score where combined with at least 20 weeks ELICOS
International English Language Testing System 5.5 5 4.5
*Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) paper based 527 500 450
TOEFL internet based test 46 35 32
Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English) 162 154 147
Pearson Test of English Academic 42 36 30
Occupational English Test** Pass Pass Pass

*The TOEFL paper based test will only be accepted from limited countries.
**The Occupational English Test includes a mark between A and E. An A or B is considered a pass.

General Information

At the Australian College of the Professions we are committed to the provision of high quality vocational education and training.
Our pledge is to enrich your life, provide you learning in a fun, caring and responsive environment and open up a world of opportunity for you.
Our training facility is located in Sydney’s CBD which is a great place to study and easily accessible to students.


Migration regulations in Australia require international students to show evidence that they can contribute to the cost of living and studying in Australia. This helps to ensure students are better able to make the most of their studies and have a safe and enjoyable experience in Australia. While international students are able to supplement their income with money earned through part-time work in Australia, the living costs’ requirement helps to support the success of students in their studies by ensuring that they don’t have to rely on such work to meet all their expenses. From 1st February 2018 the 12 month living cost is:

  • You – $20,290
  • Partner or spouse – $7,100
  • Child – $3,040

Students must demonstrate that the funds they are relying upon to meet the costs of studying in Australia will be genuinely available to them during their stay in Australia. For more information visit the Study in Australia website at: http:/ /www.studyinaustralia.gov. au/global/live-in-australia/living -costs


We are committed to ensuring that you get all the support you need to adjust to life and study in Australia and to be successful in your studies. Prior to commencing your studies, you will be required to participate in a compulsory orientation program that will include information on:

  • details of internal and external support services available to assist in the transition into life and study in Australia. Such services include welfare services, accommodation services, academic and career advice, IT support, and student learning assistance, English language support and social inclusion activities.
  • legal, emergency and health services
  • facilities and resources
  • organisational policies and procedures including course progress, attendance monitoring, deferral, suspension and cancellation, course transfer and complaints and appeals.
  • any student visa conditions relating to course progress and attendance

The enrolment form you complete will also help us to identify any support you need and depending on the course you are enrolling in and your support needs can also be discussed during the orientation.

Services that we can offer to you include

  • Mento ring from appropriately qualified trainers including their phone and email contact details
  • Review of learning materials with the student and providing information in a context they can understand
  • Providing extra time to complete tasks.
  • Providing access to supplementary or modified materials.
  • Providing supplementary exercises to assist understanding.
  • Computer and technology support.
  • Referral to external support services.

For more information please refer to Student handbook posted on www.progessions.edu.au


Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). You will need to buy OSHC before you come to Australia to cover you from when you arrive. The Department of Home Affairs requires you to maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.


As a student visa holder, you are allowed to work up to 40 hours a fortnight during term time and as many hours as you like during holidays. You can phone the Department of Home Affairs. Visit the following website to find out more about working in Australia, including how to find a job http:/ /www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/en/During-Study/Finding-Work


The Australian Government wants overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding place to study. Australia’s laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS Framework and they include the Education Services for Overseas (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2017. For more information about your rights and responsibilities under the ESOS Framework, visit the following website: https://internationaleducation.gov.au/regulatory-information/pages/regulatoryinformation.aspx


A Unique Student Identifier (US I) is a reference number made up of numbers and letters that create a lifetime record for an individual of all the nationally recognised training that has been completed. Under the Unique Student Identifiers Act 2014, all RTOs must ensure they have a valid USI for any student that enrolls in nationally recognised training from 2015. This means that as a student you:

  • Provide us with your USI, or
  • Provide us with permission to access or create your USI on your behalf. If you are providing us with permission to access or create your USI we will need a valid form of
    identification. The ID that you provide for this purpose will be destroyed once we have used it for this purpose.

If you would like to create your own USI, please visit: http://www.usi.gov.au/Students/Pages/

We are unable to issue a qualification or a statement of attainment unless we have a valid US I.